NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Candlewood Lake in Conneticut.... best day ever... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Candlewood Lake in Conneticut.... best day ever...

So my buddy and I hit up our favorite lake that we know of (too bad it's not closer) and I must say if you ever have the opportunity to fish this lake, take it. We didn't catch anything really picture-worthy but we did have a couple bigger ones about 3lbs. We wanted those bigger smallies/largies that we know are in the lake but could never find them.

We started very early and were on the water at 530am before sunrise. Started throwing top water poppers and didn't stop for nearly 2 hours. The SMB were all shallow and just destroying them. In the first 3 hours of fishing, we caught nearly 35-40 bass. It was incredable. It started getting slower as the day went on.

It was dead from 1130-2ish so we ate some lunch and took a nap. Afterwards, hit some more spots when it started picking up again. We didn't leave until sunset and left them biting.

After everything is said and done, we caught about 65 bass (50-55 SMB, the rest LMB). If you count the bluegills, rock bass, and 1 trout that hit worms, maybe around 90 fish. As far as lures, the top water morning bite was the best with the poppers, but we also caught them on spinners, a lot on crankbaits, texas-rigged senkos, wacky-rigged worms, swimbaits, bug jigs and other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I love this place. It's a frickin fish factory. I can't wait to go back.

Last edited by ChaosStarter; 05-28-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Candlewood Lake in Conneticut.... best day ever...

Awesome day ! Like you said, too bad it's not closer.

Hey Maddhatterr: "crankbaits, texas-rigged senkos, wacky-rigged worms, swimbaits, bug jigs", they are talking your language !!!!