NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What does everyone think of the 10 day C&R for trout? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: What does everyone think of the 10 day C&R for trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polelock View Post
Why did it even happen? Could they not have waited till the scheduled opener?
I ‘m sure a good number of fish died and were wasted.. F&W should have waited.
They needed to make room at the hatchery I was told, and were afraid if the state got shut down they would have been stuck with all these trout I was told... one my buddy’s was on the conference call...

As far as trout season goes I like the idea like pa does lettin the kids get first crack, they are the future to carry on this sport and you don’t see many out there fishing to begin with! The few that are out there getting it done I think it’s more fun to watch them catch them then it is for myself. Making it artificial only wouldn’t matter either I caught just as much throwing spinners and plugs the last couple days. It got to a point I had so many in front of me I threw a float on letting them yank the float under just to make it more fun, then after that a BARE hook!!!! KEEP IT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 PM
dakota560

There a cost and risk to stocking everything and a cost and associated risks to holding off. If F&G was shut down, imagine the extra cost of food and manpower alone to care for the fish and you're still faced with stocking eventually or the fish being destroyed. If they can limit the carnage to one season as opposed to two, they made the right call. There's no easy answer in what we're dealing with, I'm sure the decision they made represented what they thought in their minds would cause the least disruption long-term to their stocking programs. I'm sure at one time or another the idea of not stocking at all to avoid social gathering was discussed, thank god that wasn't the path followed. No one person is to blame about something effecting all our lives, we all need to be a little more tolerant and do what we can to maintain social order while not losing our minds in the process. Remember in today's world of social media, everyone wants instant gratification. If the powers to be do nothing, they're criticized for complacency. If they do something that doesn't work out, they're criticized for incompetency. If they do something that does work out, they're questioned why it took so log to respond. There's no winners in this mess, we need to stick together and support F&G who have been said repeatedly on this site provide some of the most diverse and robust fisheries of any state in the country. They should be praised for their work, not questioned or criticized. This crisis doesn't have a one hat fits all solution for everyone. We're in uncharted waters requiring solutions never before requiring consideration. We'll get through this but only with tolerance, patience and understanding. Focus your attention whether you have faith or not on saying prayers to keep everyone and their families safe during this time. Lot of people will lose loved ones, family and friends who will need all our support.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had no problem with it. I am sure if we were not in a work from home situation it would been pretty sweet to be out all alone on stocked river early in season. I do agree with an earlier post though, it should be artificial only and C&R.
worms. grubs n powerbait are not used for C&R. That being said, I cant imagine that NJ has enough officers to cover that much area to actually manage to enforce it. I am happy that we still have some open water to fish still. good luck
Old 04-09-2020, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There is a positive unintended benefit to the 10 day catch and release only. I have fished the same area three times now. The first time was stupid with 35 fish before I got bored. The second time was around 25, yesterday about 15.

The water has dropped and cleared and the fish that last week were willingly taking my presentation like a sunny eating bread are now educated and are swirling on the presentations but not actively taking. The same number of fish are still there, I know because I still see them holding and actively sipping bugs off the surface.

So now instead of just about every fish ending up on a stringer in the first couple of days of the regular season, we will have fish that are smart and won't just take every worm or salmon egg they see.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I like the c and r period. BRing it back
Old 04-11-2020, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I loved it. Fishing an hour here, and an hour there, followed by about 5 hours yesterday I landed well over 100 rainbows and all swam back nice and healthy.
I used spinners, trout magnets under a float, and on the bottom, and berkeley power worms fished on a small jighead and didn't have an issue with gut hooked fish.

I think this is great going forward - but ONLY if you fish artificials only as it gives C&R guys a chance to bend the rod before the meat guys come in.