NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout stocking by the numbers: - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout stocking by the numbers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
When I go to the Raritan River main stem, I go there to catch smallies, or walleye, or stripers. I'm not going to make the trip there to catch the same stocked trout that are thrown into every other goose-toilet pond from Weehawken to Wildwood. It'd suit me just fine if the main stem never saw a stocking truck again.
In the fall I might fish for trout there, but for spring I agree it's just not what Im targeting while on the raritan. Ill be catching rainbows but really just looking for a big mean bass

I wouldnt be totally against not stocking there- but only for spring... then stock it directly in the fall

Yet with all the people I saw fishing DIP - Nevius street bridge last year in the spring, I know spring stocking there isnt goign anywhere
Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
When I go to the Raritan River main stem, I go there to catch smallies, or walleye, or stripers. I'm not going to make the trip there to catch the same stocked trout that are thrown into every other goose-toilet pond from Weehawken to Wildwood. It'd suit me just fine if the main stem never saw a stocking truck again.
The truth!!!! Well said lard!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Trout stocking by the numbers:

I don't rush to Raritan to catch 10 inch trout either, but like I said, enjoy catching the ones that hold over in the fall and winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	131408  
Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I don't rush to Raritan to catch 10 inch trout either, but like I said, enjoy catching the ones that hold over in the fall and winter.
As you should that's a cool holdover.

But more trout stocked doesn't automatically = more holdovers. Each stream, even very marginal ones, will holdover fish. But every stream has a finite carrying capacity of food and optimal lies that effect how many will have the ability to hold over.

Remember the goal of the stocking program isn't to maximize holdover trout, it's to maximize angler enjoyment! And that helps determine the stocking allocations, more angler usage = more trout stocked. If the state wanted to maximize holdover trout fisheries they'd stock nothing but brown trout as they are more tolerable of the higher end of water temps.

FWIW - my favorite streams are mostly on the low end of stocking allocations also but they are also on the lower end of angler usage.

Last edited by Drossi; 03-08-2019 at 12:34 PM..