NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bunker boats - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Bunker boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togfather2530 View Post
What I want to know is did anyone actually see ylthe bunker boats in the bay Wednesday night or is everyone assuming since fishing and bait was not good on Thursday. I was actually fishing Thursday and it was terrible. I did not see any bunker boats. Just asking bc I think a lot of people like to jump to conclusions and complain and make excuses on here. I would like to here from someone who actually witnessed bunker boats on Wednesday night or Thursday in the Raritan Bay. Thanks.
Saw them out there behind the hook. Friday late morning as well.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
THAT used to be true, but last year Omega protein was given a permit to come into NJ waters.
and their presence totally shut down the Ocean bite.
wouldn't be surprised if this year it was done again
This was brought to my attention and needs to be addressed-
Sorry but this permit statement is NOT TRUE.
Yes, they are allowed to fish the EEZ (Beyond the 3 mile line) off of NJ, but they are NOT permitted to REDUCTION fish in STATE waters of NJ.
The ONLY state that REDUCTION fishing is still permitted within state waters is, yes, you guessed it... VIRGINIA, where Omega Protein/Cooke Seafood is located.
Have to say that the trap bait sector, as bad as it looks, especially during prespawn, is NOT the bad actor here. Yes, there are times that localized depletion can shut down our fishery, but for the most part it is sustainable when the smaller vessels are used just like the old days. The vessel in the picture The Kingfisher, photo taken by me, this past Thursday morning, off of the Ammo pier in Sandy Hook Bay, is what is called a carry boat and is supported by a regular catch boat and filled multiple times until full. This is one of the few vessels of its kind in NJ and it is at the max allowed size, 90ft for the state.These fish are shipped via trucks to Maine for lobster bait and the guys that run it are from Mass. The boat is docked on Channel drive in Point until the season limit is met. Note that the incidence in bycatch of striped bass and other game fish during purse seining operations is quite low and they are not allowed to retain any fish other than bunkers on board.When the school is encircled by the net, bass tend to swim downward and the bunker swim upward. This system works best in deeper water. If they do a set in shallower water the bycatch would certainly increase.

Please support www.menhadendefenders.org
we have to sell T shirts and stickers to keep us going. It's not enough.
Our saying is NO BUNKER=NO BASS for a reason! and we have been screaming for angler unification and increased engagement on this topic since 1990. Bitching about this online does nothing, you have to show up and speak and be a part of the system whether you like it or not.
Thanks,
Capt. Paul Eidman
Charter Boat Reel Therapy
Raritan Bay NJ
email me at paulyfish@reeltherapy.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kingfisher Raritan Bay 5 3 18 menhaden defenders.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	122079  

Last edited by paulyfish; 05-06-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Old 05-06-2018, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Here are the facts! Not one politician from New Jersey will back you on banning Bunker from from netting in Raritan Bay.I have been to meetings in NJ and NY.One time i went with Percy the net builder to NY to meet with a state biologist to discuss the bunker problem being on the decline.He blamed it on guys throwing cast nets! Now that is a guy with a Masters degree ? Imagine the idiots that work for Noaa?Corey Booker or Menendez could give two shits about the bunker.Same body of water no netting on the North side but devastate the south side.GO FIGURE????

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 05-06-2018, 08:59 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
Here are the facts! Not one politician from New Jersey will back you on banning Bunker from from netting in Raritan Bay.I have been to meetings in NJ and NY.One time i went with Percy the net builder to NY to meet with a state biologist to discuss the bunker problem being on the decline.He blamed it on guys throwing cast nets! Now that is a guy with a Masters degree ? Imagine the idiots that work for Noaa?Corey Booker or Menendez could give two shits about the bunker.Same body of water no netting on the North side but devastate the south side.GO FIGURE????

FYI- This species is regulated by the ASMFC which falls under NOAA/NMFS
and ultimately the Department of Commerce.
Yes, the governor of the state can have a say through its commissioner on the ASMFC. Important to note that fisheries management is a non partisan issue.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyfish View Post
This was brought to my attention and needs to be addressed-
Sorry but this permit statement is NOT TRUE.
Yes, they are allowed to fish the EEZ (Beyond the 3 mile line) off of NJ, but they are NOT permitted to REDUCTION fish in STATE waters of NJ.
The ONLY state that REDUCTION fishing is still permitted within state waters is, yes, you guessed it... VIRGINIA, where Omega Protein/Cooke Seafood is located.
Have to say that the trap bait sector, as bad as it looks, especially during prespawn, is NOT the bad actor here. Yes, there are times that localized depletion can shut down our fishery, but for the most part it is sustainable when the smaller vessels are used just like the old days. The vessel in the picture The Kingfisher, photo taken by me, this past Thursday morning, off of the Ammo pier in Sandy Hook Bay, is what is called a carry boat and is supported by a regular catch boat and filled multiple times until full. This is one of the few vessels of its kind in NJ and it is at the max allowed size, 90ft for the state.These fish are shipped via trucks to Maine for lobster bait and the guys that run it are from Mass. The boat is docked on Channel drive in Point until the season limit is met. Note that the incidence in bycatch of striped bass and other game fish during purse seining operations is quite low and they are not allowed to retain any fish other than bunkers on board.When the school is encircled by the net, bass tend to swim downward and the bunker swim upward. This system works best in deeper water. If they do a set in shallower water the bycatch would certainly increase.

Please support www.menhadendefenders.org
we have to sell T shirts and stickers to keep us going. It's not enough.
Our saying is NO BUNKER=NO BASS for a reason! and we have been screaming for angler unification and increased engagement on this topic since 1990. Bitching about this online does nothing, you have to show up and speak and be a part of the system whether you like it or not.
Thanks,
Capt. Paul Eidman
Charter Boat Reel Therapy
Raritan Bay NJ
email me at paulyfish@reeltherapy.com
Paul... a few questions.

You say this boat (picture) is being used to net bait for lobster fishermen in Maine? Then who the hell gave this out of state (Mass) guy permission to do that here in NJ?

Ironic.....there are none of these boats in NY waters of Raritan Bay...I wonder why?

There should be NO commercial netting of bunker within our NJ bays with the exception of NJ commercial netters getting bait for OUR NJ bait and tackle shops and recreational anglers cast netting bunker for a day of fishing....just my 2 cents.

Many "Thanks" for your input. NO BUNKER=NO BASS=NO RECREATIONAL FISHING=NO INCOME FOR NJ...it's that simple.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt John View Post
Paul... a few questions.

You say this boat (picture) is being used to net bait for lobster fishermen in Maine? Then who the hell gave this out of state (Mass) guy permission to do that here in NJ?

Ironic.....there are none of these boats in NY waters of Raritan Bay...I wonder why?

There should be NO commercial netting of bunker within our NJ bays with the exception of NJ commercial netters getting bait for OUR NJ bait and tackle shops and recreational anglers cast netting bunker for a day of fishing....just my 2 cents.

Many "Thanks" for your input. NO BUNKER=NO BASS=NO RECREATIONAL FISHING=NO INCOME FOR NJ...it's that simple.
Hi John-
A couple of years ago they grandfathered the NJ registered boats that have been registered and could produce catch records. There are no new entries into this fishery anymore.
Can't purse seine fish for bunker on NY side of the bay.

It's all about moderation, consideration and conservation. There is no reason why we ALL can't use the resource.
We need to leave enough in the water for the ecosystem to maintain sustainability. Unfortunately, the ASMFC voted to maintain the ARCHAIC current single species management system back in Nov 2017. Our next shot at a new, progressive ECOSYSTEM based management system will be in 2019.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyfish View Post
FYI- This species is regulated by the ASMFC which falls under NOAA/NMFS
and ultimately the Department of Commerce.
Yes, the governor of the state can have a say through its commissioner on the ASMFC. Important to note that fisheries management is a non partisan issue.
The only thing i care about is having a politiian with enough balls to stop ALL BUNKER NETTING IN ALL THE BAYS IN NJ FYI All the other BS i knew already not my first rodeo been involved in the bunker thing for decades

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: Bunker boats

Paulyfish, thank you for clarifying, to an extent on what is happening here. We will be making a contribution to your organization. It was our pleasure to have Mr. H Bruce Franklin aboard our boats as he shared his knowledge on the importance of menhaden.

Capt. John, Iím with ya all the way. But as Sal said, they could give two shyts about wiping out the resources in our bay. In the past we have seen these boats on the east side of the base of Old Orchard light. Havenít seen them on that side yet this year.

40' RP WILLIS BEAL

USCG CERTIFIED 1 - 15 PASSENGERS

HUGE 18 X 16 COCKPIT / HEAT / AIR CONDITIONED
IMMACULATE CABIN & RESTROOM

Down Deep Sportfishing
Harbor View Marina
165 - West Front Street
Keyport, N.J. 07735

Capt. Mario - 609-827-1232

Available Dates & Reservations - 609-689-8631

1 GOAL - 2 CAPTAINS - 3 MATES - 4 EXCELLENT TRIPS - 5 STAR SERVICE

www.downdeepsportfishing.com
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The reason the bunker boats are killing massive amounts of bunker and shipping them to Maine is they depleted the herring population up there.So the solution is to come rape NJ, stuff their pockets with cash and the hell with the Stripers and Blues that live on that species.But they have to make a living?At what cost ?As far as very few Stripers getting caught in the net along with giant weakfish Pauly you are wrong. I have watched it many times in Raritan Bay.We are not trying to ban"Bait" bunker boats we just don't want them in Raritan Bay.The Governor could stop this as they did in NY.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 05-06-2018, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
The reason the bunker boats are killing massive amounts of bunker and shipping them to Maine is they depleted the herring population up there.So the solution is to come rape NJ, stuff their pockets with cash and the hell with the Stripers and Blues that live on that species.But they have to make a living?At what cost ?As far as very few Stripers getting caught in the net along with giant weakfish Pauly you are wrong. I have watched it many times in Raritan Bay.We are not trying to ban"Bait" bunker boats we just don't want them in Raritan Bay.The Governor could stop this as they did in NY.

Glad to see you have the same fire as I do Sal. I have tried like hell to get a picture of a bass or a weakie but havent been as lucky. Please take pictures or video Sal!! Everybody out there should be documenting the crap out of this ...we all have cameras...
P