NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - O/B Question
Thread: O/B Question
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: O/B Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank
You want a sleep aboard? You're going to be paying and lugging around a few thousand pounds more boat.

You doing Canyons? Need seaworthiness for the possible beatings you run into from time to time. I loved by 25' Grady. It was twin 200's and had a cuddy cabin. Ok to sleep on, but spending a weekend was taxing.

My favorite ( If I hit the lottery) had been a 31' Rampage with diesels. Canyon range and marginal comfort.

The trend now is for FAST Center Consoles or non-walkaround cuddys with a shit load of O/B's ( 3 or more) on the back. Deep V and cruise in the 40's with top speeds near 60-70 knots. No more 5 or 6 hours party boat runs for you. Three hours to Hudson Canyon. You could leave the dock in Belmar after work at 5PM and be hooked up at Hudson before the sun even goes down. Wild! But BIG $$$ on engines. Ironically O/B's too.

Any bigger than low 30 foot range, in my opinion, the boat is too hard to run yourself with docking and stuff. You fishing alone may be the decider here on what size works. Forget 38's, 36's. I ran a 32' and that was scramble to dock alone, or have landlubbers who are clueless and just stand in the way.

Capt private message me if you have any thoughts. OK?

Capt. Frank
I would stay away from Rampages personally. They tend to pound alot. Penn