NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Trout fishing in NJ, browns and brookies
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout fishing in NJ, browns and brookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Vitale View Post
Well, well, look at that...the only state in the entire northeastern USA that stocks only one species...our very own NJ, yeah! Let's hear it for the Garden State!

(What is this mystery magic which PA and NY have discovered that allows them to stock multiple species??? Me confused...)

Could you possibly post a larger version of that map?
I guess I don't get your point on this?.. NJ has only one native trout species -brook trout. Yet you have rainbows, browns, lakers, and a even a few landlocks in waters where they are capable of surviving... The only species that were there without being stocked are brook trout.. So it seems that NJ does indeed stock more than one species at various times.. Maybe they are focused more on sustaining natural reproduction in lieu of "put and take" which in my opinion is commendable and should be applauded. Yes NY stocks many different species of trout, salmon as well, but they largely go into tourist areas that generate money.. Not only that, but the warm water complex is virtually ignored, unlike NJ.

NY stocks yearling trout many of which are barely 7 inches, while NJ stocks 2 year olds which are closer to a foot long, making for a much more enjoyable "put and take" experience believe me...

as someone that has lived 32 years in NY after 37 in NJ, I personally think NJ has it all over NY in their fisheries management philosophies.. What NJ does with its far lesser water resources is practically miraculous. NY has a treasure trove of water resources, however outside of The Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, Catskills, a lot of them go lacking in proper fisheries management.... NY has the water, but NJ has the fire in its belly to make the absolute best use of what it has available, and the results are spectacular.... bob