NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - There Are No Fish In Michigan
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2023, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: There Are No Fish In Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Funny you mention the Gobies... Fished on Lake Erie for smallmouth back in the spring. We caught several of them on the small minnows we were bottom drifting, they look like Muppets. Anyhow, I wanted to try some Ned rigs and was about to put one on and the Captain hands me a soft plastic stick bait that has a round head like a Gobie and it was game on. He said they ignored the Gobies for quite a while when they first appeared in the area but now they've developed a taste for them...
Yes.. Exactly as you described Gerry.. Bass are getting huge because of the "new" forage right next to them.. Now they don't have to suspend 75 feet down in 300 feet of water because thats where the sawbellies are most of the time.. Problem is this.. for every goby a SMB eats, a Goby will eat 10,000 bass eggs or new hatched fry.. the bass are getting REAL big on Gobies,, the bad thing is there are a LOT fewer bass to be caught... Same with perch/sunnies/rock bass /LMB... The eggs and fry are severely depredated by the ravenous hordes of gobies... oh and by the way, You are NOT allowed to catch a Goby, and put it on the hook as bait, ever where they exist by the hundreds of millions in the Great and finger lakes.. gobies are getting eaten by everything now, Lakers and bass love them, but the "new" food source they provide, is not remotely close to making up for the damage they have done.. the have outcompeted all sorts of small native darters and sculpins that have been native here forever, and I think some are either extinct or close to extinct... you NJ guys DO NOT want these accursed little monsters in your lakes, believe me.. ... bob