NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - There Are No Fish In Michigan
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: There Are No Fish In Michigan

The giant, massive glacial lakes are not as productive as people think.. The fishing can be world class but it can also go into huge long term slumps, where very few fish are caught for weeks on end. take it from someone that lived in NY and NJ and fished extensively in both states.. Yes, there are big fish in the giant lakes[ great lakes, finger lakes etc.. however, they often don't come easy,, They can be tough to find, impossible to catch at times etc..Also, they are often commercially fished.. Even the finger lakes and several of the big upstate lakes ,,legal or not.. There are many restaurants here that serve bullhead, or yellow perch dinners.. Those fish are caught by pin hookers and sold. Not sure if its still going on, but I recall years ago that many stores close to lake ontario were selling frozen yellow perch, crappies, walleyes,bullheads etc.. I mean LOTS of those "game" fish were stacked deep in freezers, with pretty high prices on them so someone was catching them.. Someone was buying/eating them as well... Lots of pin hookers up here, and even some of the very big lakes have had their perch populations decimated by commercial pin hookers.. Trout and salmon not so much, they don't seem to have the demand as white fleshed fish.... At least not in my area... Even the largest lakes can be grossly over fished, I have witnessed it myself.. just as with salt water, the fish are NOT everywhere. They have , temps, habitat, feed that they prefer and key on, and sadly modern fishermen know when where and how, and will take a lot of fish out, even from the largest lakes.. These are not inexhaustible fisheries, just because of "big water".. same as the ocean really.. Fish are always there... Until they aren't... bob