NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatepredator View Post
Hello all,
In my opinion the curly tail grub is the best in the Delaware river. I mostly target smallmouth and have found the colors of pumpkin seed, green pumpkin seed, and watermelon seed to work the best. Some days they prefer one color over the other. Typically on an 1/8oz jig head(painted or unpainted). 1/4oz in deeper water.
And i have caught everything on the grub. smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, catfish, walleye, trout, and muskie etc... Whether it is clear or stained or downright muddy it works.
I am always trying different lures looking for the Next Best Thing but usually come back to the curly tail grub.
As for chartreuse, I never really gave it a try but I will now. Just picked some up and might give it a try today on the river for some walleye.
Yep.. Rocky rivers is where those lures excel.. Nothing else works as well, except maybe live bait, but actually I usually outfish the few bait fishermen I encounter up here on the Susky.. All the colors you mentioned are quite good.. i call them "neutrals".. they are colored more like a crayfish, hellgrammite, or Sculpin etc.. However, for me, I have found that typically, but not every single time of , I draw more strikes with bright chartreuse day in and out.. Always exceptions, but yeah, add some chartreuse to the mix, please let me know how it works for you... bob