NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - An old familiar stream, Like I never left.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default An old familiar stream, Like I never left.

Continuing my re-acquaintance with a visit to an old love, the lower Black River.

Really only fished 2 pools, places that I have drifted a nymph literally a thousand times back in the day. Very little has changed really.

Low water. caddis, crane flys and midges coming off. First pool looked great but I must have spooked the sentinel trouts that spooked the rest. Not a bump.

Just above a - beautiful riffle. Nailed a beautiful bow on the second drift. Next drift.....missed a good hit. Then the beautiful, very feisty native brookie. Orange flesh. Rested the water for 5 minutes while I adjusted my leader. Next drift hooked a 11 inch wild brown......fought like a champ. Thought I had the slam but the hook pulled at my feet. Good for him. I think 8 trout is enough for the smoker.

Native Brookie taken in an old familiar riffle....took an #16 olive soft hackle.

This is a typical B.R. Fish and Game Club stocked Bow. 15 inches, cleared the water 2x. Taken in the same riffel with the same fly

Last edited by Tony Cav; 04-21-2012 at 10:11 AM..