NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - M-N-G, SPRUCE RUN, Saturday, February 28th!
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: M-N-G, SPRUCE RUN, Saturday, February 28th!

i think the experienced guys here use 80 flouro. I've seen that cut clean in half instantly by what i can only assume was a huge musky. I agree with you on the steel leader though, so i guess it's a give and take. you either chance not getting a bite or you chance losing a huge fish... i guess pick your poison.

I'm not as experienced with the toothy critters through the ice but i'm experimenting with the really thin light knotable wire leader (knot2kinky) I have 25lbs and it's thin like maybe the diameter of like 10lbs mono roughly. I know flouro is supposedly invisible but when it's that thick 80-100lbs i think the fish knows it's there if you ask me. idk, i have to actually hook a big pike or musky through the ice before i have any real opinions haha. I was using 20lbs flouro and i didn't catch anything over 22 inches. the 20lbs flouro p-line has always withstood toothy fish up to about the 24" size range though.