NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Analog vs. Digital Radar
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Analog vs. Digital Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank
Network cables are the future? Really? Perhaps you have not heard for Blue Tooth and Wi Fi wireless?

In my opinion (based on 21 years in computer controls engineering): Cables are for now. Wireless is the future. The Marine Industry has not gotten there yet.

Look around you else where. What do you see is the network scheme? Keep them separate. Don't marry yourself into a hard-wired network for the long run. My two cents.

capt. Frank
I would take cable networked electronics ANY DAY over wireless (especially blue tooth).
Blue tooth is pretty old and never caught on the way the designers had hoped (mainly because it can be disrupted by a garage door opener and the range is not that great).

Basically relegated to cellphone head pieces and an afterthought in laptops for file transfer.

No one really converts to wifi to gain speed or reliability. Purely convenience

Since cable runs on a boat are not very long, I would NEVER trade the reliability of a cable for the slight convenience of wireless for my boat electronics inter communications.

Even if they ever do come out with wireless networked electronics for boats, you are a few generations away from them implementing it as networked is relatively in it's early stages.

That being said, I would not be concerned with networked electronics UNLESS they were a non proprietary type system like NMEA 2000 as proprietary gets you locked into 1 brand of hardware.