NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Pollution Threatens New Jersey's Lake Hopatcong
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pollution Threatens New Jersey's Lake Hopatcong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
Tim C. (from news story) and Lou (concerned lake advocates.) are on this. I emailed Tim over the weekend and got the following from him regarding this thread:

"Apparently the NBC bit got some people’s attention. Fri. AM there were 9 vehicles streamside from all different DEP Dept. along w/ Weldon rep and their attorney. They finally walked the length of the stream and took water and soils samples. They saw evidence from last year’s oil spill that we have also been reporting in the stream and placed an absorbent boom to catch any. This is really the beginning of the process. First analysis of impact (spawning areas, macro organisms, disruption to the food chain, etc). I imagine some long overdue containment measures will be implemented while that is going on."

"I believe they will look to clean up the stream (look at Spruce Run 2017 incident). I hope where there’s evidence of thick sludge on the lake bed (minimally in the cove) that they will develop some restoration plan, but we’re just guessing at this point. Spruce Run took 4 months but this isn’t as big, but they sprang into action in 3 days there, they didn’t start a meaningful investigation here for 11 weeks. I think everyone I talked to Friday seemed like they were as concerned as me and I believe thing will start now but there’ll be a lot of meeting and planning and KDC will not be included but hopefully I can get sense of progress from contacts. I imagine Jefferson & Lake Hopatcong Commission will have to be given updates. The reports of fish kills were not related. Just typical winter kills that float up after ice out. One day we saw about a dozen fresh killed sunfish and blue gills that could have been from this, but that is all I would attribute to this. But all macro invertebrates (grass shrimp, snails, crayfish, etc) are smothered and any fish eggs laid will most likely not be viable because lake bed is like talcum powder. F&W was well represented and I have confidence in them. I still can’t explain why this was handled so poorly from the outset, huge thanks to Brian Thompson and NBC for shining a light on this."

Location of the stream entering the lake
THATS GREAT NEWS. Thank you for the update.