NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Pollution Threatens New Jersey's Lake Hopatcong
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 PM
dakota560

Default Re: Pollution Threatens New Jersey's Lake Hopatcong

What I don't understand other than politics at play how the Weldon operation isn't shut down until the problem is remedied. A surface boom won't do anything for sub surface toxic particulates. Oil and or diesel yes, sediment no. I'm sure the party line is water measurements are within safety standards but the coloration of the water coming from the picture with the pipe seems pretty saturated with sediment.

I also heard, but can't confirm, early on DEP worked with Weldon to install a filtration system downstream to filter out the crystalline silica before it emptied into the lake. Was told they underestimated the amount of silica in the water and the filtration system failed. Can't confirm but could have been part of the reason for the apparent delay addressing the issue.

One business causing the problem, an entire lake and ecosystem at risk, operation should be shut down until it is deemed 100% safe. Those pictures don't suggest that. Big business and their attorneys, government and their insistence on moving at a snails pace and lack of true accountability and the average person takes it on the chin again.

Environmental clean ups are huge cluster &*^%#, hope this one has a happy ending but either way right now this quarry should be forced to cease operations and the public outcry and media coverage should be relentless in that pursuit.

Last edited by dakota560; 04-30-2019 at 09:14 AM..