NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - 16' Boat help
Thread: 16' Boat help
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 16' Boat help

Hi,

Gerry is right. 3:1 scope. And 3/8" nylon. That's the perfect size. You can buy multi hundred foot spools too. Some chain (3' to 10') helps keep the scope down. Although not much in a current-less lake. A River Anchor is the way to go for anchor choice.

I use a 15 pound river anchor as my stern anchor when I double anchor over a spot to lock in on windy days in my 14' Mirrocraft crabbing.

Since there's no tide or steady current to anchor against River Anchor in a lake is first choice(perhaps only good choice). A Danforth fluke-style anchor would be a very poor choice unless you have moving currents. Nothing to dig it in and hold it aside from running the engine in reverse.

On windless days your anchor line may be nearly straight up and down in a lake.

Scope 3:1 of what depth? Go to FishingHot Spots.com. They sell maps of most decent sized lakes and reservoirs with depths. That way you have an idea of how deep you'll find. I use a few- Greenwood and lake Hopatcong in my boating classes to teach chart reading.

Hope this helps? Or PM me for more details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Man
I am outfitting a 16' Aluminum boat for lake fishing. It has a 9.9 four stroke & a electric trolling motor. I need to know how many feet of anchor line, and what type line I would need to fish N.J. lakes. Also any other tips would be appreciated.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 10-14-2011 at 10:40 AM..