NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Buying a boat
Thread: Buying a boat
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Buying a boat

good question, but too many variables depend on you... what you fish for, open boat or cabin, etc.

Generally the closer to NYC you go the docking charged per foot goes up. example $150-$200 per foot. You have docking in a little marina on East 23 and Chelsea pier and W. 79th street.

I've found the easier to use the boat - the more you use it.

Don't forget rack storage where they pull the boat out for you. And Sea Streak off Wall Street can take you to Atlantic Highlands. But your house is 30 miles south of there in PP.

Do you want ocean fishing, bay fishing?

I personally think the old adage of progressively buying bigger and bigger boats is a waste of money and time. My first was a 32 footer and worked DOWN to a 25'

So do tell more? Or private message me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleFart View Post
Hi,

I am curious of a few topics of buying a boat. Yes I have searched the web and read a ton of feedback across the country on the topic but figured, this is Jersey we are our own class so I’ll take it here. I’m 30 this is a big purchase for me so I could use the help!

1. I’m live upper east side nyc for work but own a home in point pleasant beach from a fishery would it be best to dock my boat for more immediate access in jersey city/bk wherever in the urban nyc / nj area to fish 40 times a year (honest projection) or dock in point and fish 24-28 times a year but those times will be on ground I know very well.

2. Finance or buy, I figured I can buy a boat for $15k-$20k out right or I can finance a new or used boat for monthly payments what a car would cost me. I look at it this way, I go on 8 open boat fluke trips a year, 1500 with tips, maybe 5 party boat trips another $500 with tip. I run a few canyon trips which I’d give up for a boat so figure another $1500 in open boats. It makes sense now to fish more on boat of my own the pay.

3. Never owned a boat but know like a pro weather charts, fuel ratios , basic mechanics, and basic overhead. What’s a good beginner boat for $300 monthly payment (excluding docking) or $15-20k (excluding docking)

Thanks
Ben
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber