NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - a different kind of monster catch
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: a different kind of monster catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

That's a great find. I usually don't see the big ones until around August.

I find earthworms fascinating and enjoy collecting my own bait. They aerate and enrich the soil as they feed at the surface and then return to their burrows.

This spring, I was considering logging in all the different reactions people have when I'm digging earthworms in the park. This weekend I saw:

1) People who walk by keeping their head straight but turn their eyeballs to one side so they can watch what your doing but not look like they're watching you.
2) People who pretend not to see you until they are sure you are looking away, then they stop and stare.

Other times I have had people walk up and are genuinely curious about what I am doing. A summer or two ago there was this one lady that didn't see me crouching down in the leaves until until she was almost on top of me. When i stood up holding the garden trowel, she shreiked and cowered back. I guess she thought she was about to get murdered by a serial killer.

I definitely hear you on the weird looks from people. we do all our worm hunting in the woods behind the house, its an often travelled hiking path along the rahway. people are generally pretty friendly with a hi, how ya doin. sometimes you get the yuppy mom doing cardio with that look of disgust when my sons says looking for dinosaur worms!