NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - NJ 2024 and 2025 Fluke Regulations Decided
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: NJ 2024 and 2025 Fluke Regulations Decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Most of the states fluke fishing took big hits against their quota , so hopefully cumulative it makes a difference .
I saw NC took a 70% reduction , which was mostly made up from commercial .
Though they are still landing 11000 a week .
They had 2 drops , going from 30000 to 15000 to 11000 .
And in another year instead of 70% to commercial 30% to recs
Will be 60/40 then 50/50 the following .
So some big changes there , hopefully not entirely too late .
Seems recreational fisherman there after only having a 2 week season , and being told they still over fished had enough .
Hammer could you provide source for your percentages. Where do you see NC took a 70% decrease and where do you see a 70/30 allocation between commercial and recreational? I thought a few years ago, NMFS based on the MRIP debacle, adjusted the allocation from 60/40 to 55/45, when did it go to 70/30? If you look at the allocation for 2024 / 2025, it looks to be more like 55/45. Just curious where you're getting your numbers from. If commercial goes from a 70% allocation of the overall catch to 50%, that would be a substantial move in the right direction for this fishery, just don't see those numbers reflected anywhere.

It looks like commercial took a 42% reduction in quota this year versus 28% for recreational and the allocation among states shifted from a lesser percentage to southern states to a greater percentage to northern states with NJ and NY being a significant benefactor. But does that mean NC took a 70% reduction? NC went from 3.3 million lbs. to 2.4 million lbs. or a 28% reduction but correct me if I'm wrong. Can't NC unloads there catch in NJ which means it goes against the NJ quota? If so, NC isn't limited to 2.4 million lbs. and didn't at all take a 70% reduction. Don't get me wrong, a 42% decrease is definitely a step in the right direction, now have NMFS close the commercial fishery during September and October to protect the spawn and you'll see this stock rebound like people haven't seen in 25 years.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 03-09-2024 at 08:47 AM..