NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Buying a boat
Thread: Buying a boat
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Buying a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
My take on this.....

Owning your own boat makes almost no financial sense at all, you are way better off chartering.. It does however give you the freedom to fish when you want and a sense of accomplishment when you put yourself on the fish, but you pay a lot for that benefit. Just do the math....

As far as financing vs purchasing.... A boat is a luxury item and it's value drops like a rock...For me since it's a luxury item if I can't afford to pay cash then I really can't afford it.

Buying used boat will save you a ton of money since someone else took the big hit on depreciation so as mentioned above, I would go used... And, since this is you first boat, if you decide your needs changed or owning a boat isn't all that it's cracked up to be you can get out of it with a lesser hit.

As far as where to dock it.... NYC area is going to be very expensive but it's an easy run to the Stripers in the early Spring....Once late spring/early summer rolls around you're better off in Point Pleasant...
Having said all this, I've owned a boat for the past 25 years and as long as I am able physically and financially I will always own one..

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area