NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Weakfish meeting
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Weakfish meeting

A lot of folks did not agree with a moratorium at this time PBAngler – that’s because scientists and fisheries researchers say the decline in weakfish biomass is reflective of a rise in natural mortality, not fishing mortality. In other words, science doesn’t support a moratorium as it would have little impact on the overall stability of the stock.

RFA doesn’t support the use of arbitrary, unsubstantiated and nonscientific information and ideology in closing down fisheries. How could we?

Guys like Ken would rather you listen to his views exclusively than read our specific position statements on weakfish, or anyone else’s for that matter. When Ken starts getting behind in an argument, he turns to personal attacks and innuendo - typical schoolyard bully behavior, “if you don’t give me your ball I’ll beat you up.” I’ve never met the guy, but from what he’s written about himself I understand his fishing exploits are quite legendary.

People don’t follow the RFA blindly – our members understand that our folks are in the trenches everyday dealing with mudslinging, rhetoric, slander and misinformation from the outer reaches. Every message board in America has a Kensdock trying to close and protect some fishery. There’s a BillfishBilly in the Southeast trying to make marlin a catch and release only fishery, Striperswiper wants to make striped bass only accessible to anglers who throw artificials, while GiantTagger wants to make bluefin an endangered species. Add it all up, and you can see where the divisive tactics can take its toll on a community.

Once it gets personal and off the topic at hand, I’m out. Good luck folks!