NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Freshwater Fisheries Forum January 19:
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Freshwater Fisheries Forum January 19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
I dont think walleye would upset the balance at spruce. The forage is ample. Could always trim back on the numbers of hybrids and pike they stock. Hybrids dont breed so theoretically they're more easily managed and I'm uncertain if the pike spawn successfully. Doubt walleye would spawn even with feeder creek access. I think it's worth a shot with a few thousand. See what the impact is...
I would agree with you that cutting back on the numbers of both 'swipers' and pike would seem to be the first step in making this change. The issue of the constant and often dramatic drawdowns of Spruce may be a factor in the survival of walleye since they are a cool water species and a serious drop in lake level could very well eliminate any viable, thermally survivable habitat for the walleye. Also there is a chronic issue with D.O. levels in Spruce. Apparently the O2 levels drop radically to almost zero at a fairly shallow depth there which would leave the cool water walleye with nowhere to live with suitable temps and oxygen. Then too, I personally believe they could very well successfully spawn in either of the 2 major feeders to the res, Mulhockaway and Spruce Run Creeks. That's just my humble opinion though, no actual science behind it.