NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - favorite gear for jigging or live- lining stripers ?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: favorite gear for jigging or live- lining stripers ?

I’ve been using a pair of GLoomis Saltwater series 843Cs paired with a Shimano Calcutta 400 since the late 1990’s for jigging inshore stripers and bluefish. Reels were spooled with #20 Momoi diamond mono (I prefer mono when jigging for the extra cushion the mono provides and I tend not to pull as many hooks as those using braid—but that’s just me). Must have caught 1000s of fish on both rods. Sold them at a flea market over the winter and now going to use the GLoomis Pro Blue 843C with the same reels. I’ll use the spinning version of the rod when I’m jigging bluefish out at the Shark River Reef where the water is from 70-100+’.

For live lining, I’ll bring both a spinning rod (Loomis Pro Blue 843S) with a Shimano baitrunner reel and a conventional (Rogue SW705) rod with an Abu Pro Rocket 7000 reel. Both rods 7th’. The spinning rod I’ll use for snag & drop (although I don’t think we’re legally allowed to do that anymore) & the conventional for getting the bait to the bottom on either a slider or 3-way rig.