NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchJr
>> A major complaint from guys who marched last time has been "nothing's been done! I got nothing out of it!"

On February 24, 2010, a three-hour rally was held in Washington DC with 5,000 fishermen, commercial and recreational united in solidarity to keep fishermen fishing. On stage during this event were two dozen legislators who promised to take the torch and carry into Congress for reform of our federal fisheries law. Meanwhile, non-governmental environmental organizations with coffers in the billions took out ads in national newspapers and lobbied extensively to stop our efforts (while many folks in the sportfishing community, including national manufacturers, stood on the sideline not knowing whether or not it was ‘proper’ to get involved with such an effort.)

In 2011, EIGHT pieces of reform legislation designed to amend the Magnuson Stevens Act were finally heard in the House Natural Resources Committee, despite objection from the billion dollar environmental industry. The House is set to deal with legislation to fix Magnuson now, and the Senate will need to follow suit.

Yes, it's a slow process, but I belive that significant work has been done since 2010.

You guys realize it’s these billion dollar organizations against the will of the people here at work right now, correct? There’s strength in numbers – and November elections are coming, significant elections which can help chart a new course for our coastal fishing communities.

>> walking in circles with signs and speaking in front of the house really going to do anything other then put a bunch of people in one spot? If you can give me 10 high powered elected officials that could promise results, i would be willing to provide my money to that sector

You perhaps are unaware of what actually occurred in 2010…I’d suggest you take a look at the video releases from 2010 to understand what this event is all about, and how 2012 is expected to be bigger and better than before!

Folks, please understand if this issue was as easy as Congress seeing one side of an issue and voting to protect the people as well as the fish then we'd have no reason for rallies, and no need for political action. There are many well-heeled forces acting against our local fishermen and our coastal fishing communities...some of us refuse to accept defeat without a fight!
Thank you for clarifying.

Guys saying we're fighting a losing battle....that attitude, and doing NOTHING about it, is what's going to GUARANTEE that we lose and fishing as we know it becomes a thing of the past.

Screw that, I'm going again. Putting in for the day off now. See you in DC.