NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - The slow death of Party Boats
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: The slow death of Party Boats

Fishing for hire is a tough business no matter how you cut it. Charter, Open, Party it doesn't matter.... You add up the hours, the expenses, the effort and the issues and there are many easier ways to make a buck.

No one gets into any of these businesses thinking their going to get rich and retire. It's a way of life, in some cases passed down from your family, in other cases it's a passion and you do it because you love it and hope to make ends meet.

I got my Captain's license several years ago when I had a break between jobs. I thought I might give it a whirl but after chartering a few times I discovered it wasn't for me. It's a ton or work, the business requires constant attention and truth be told, I couldn't see myself doing it every day.... Fishing for leisure is one thing, doing it every day to make a living is another and requires a commitment and comes along with a ton of pressure I was not prepared to take on.

Tip of the cap for all you do this, it ain't easy.

Having said all this, I'm thankful we have people who choose to do this otherwise many of us would have never got the fishing bug. My first trip was night Blue fishing on the Cock Robin and I was gut hooked deep. This great sport has given me many years of enjoyment since, along with great friendships and quality times with family and friends that are irreplaceable.

I too think that the youth in this sport are dwindling and it's a shame because they are going to miss out big time. There are however some that the sport still calls when they are exposed to it. I have a close friend who was not much into fishing and got into it later in life with his son Jake. This kid practically has gills and he's either fishing or his face is buried in fishing catalogs or watching You Tube fishing videos. He just started high school and actually formed a school sponsored fishing club. How great is that!!

I was also at the RFA both in the Somerset show and was amazed to see how many Moms and Dads are encouraging their kids to fish.... It was great to see their faces light up when you talk to them about fishing and the smile it brought to their parents faces.

I think there is still hope for this sport of ours if we simply take the time to share our passion with kids. Getting someone into fishing is one of the best things you can do for them. It's not for everyone but the few it calls will get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it.

Please take a kid and their friends fishing and support our local fishing businesses and this great sport of ours!!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area