NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - NJ Salmon Stocking
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: NJ Salmon Stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
browns are way better survivors than rainbows so I don't understand what NJ DEC is doing... they are way more tolerant of higher temps and lower oxygen levels than rainbows.. Brookies are tough because they require clean cool water, and in NJ with its development mania is becoming less hospitable for their needs.. NJ once had a lot of brookies if you knew where to look.. I used to catch them in tiny farm creeks back in the 60's.. brookies need to be left alone.. they don't seem to do well in highly developed areas.. browns do fine however, as long as the water has enough oxygen and doesn't get above say 75 degrees for long periods... Could be because browns are not aggressive feeders, and are simply not as easy to catch as rainbows... bob
NJDFW claims the hatchery needs some additional work to keep it disease free before they start raising browns again. IMHO I think it's cheaper for them to raise rainbows and that the brookies and browns aren't coming back in the near future.

You are right about the browns holding over, you'll even find wild ones even in the most marginal of river systems. They are harder to catch too.