NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Upper Delaware trip info request
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Upper Delaware trip info request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I'm not a big fan of May up there as the bug hatches are insane !! And when I mean insane it looks like a blizzard, bugs in your eyes, nose, ears, mouth, you name it. I know Lard enjoys the month of May up there but as a spin fisherman I like April and October the best, very few bugs.
Remember the West and East branch sit all winter long with NO angling pressure as the rivers close to all fishing to let the fish spawn. First ones out in April you can find some very hungry stupid fish.
Going in April it is still very quiet up there, and more often than not many areas are still snow covered.
Come the month of May people from all around the country converge on the area as it becomes a fly fishing mecca. Parking lots are full, hotels are sold out, loads of drift boats on the rivers.
You can spend a week up there and never hit the same water twice, both by boat and off the banks. Access to the East and West branch as well as the main stem of the Delaware river is pretty good, throw in the Beaverkill for good measure as well. The Catskills have a lot to offer.
I saw a video from Lard and I think it was filmed in May, SHADAPAHLOOZA.
That's right, American Shad so thick you can't see the bottom of the river. May offers quite a variety, I have caught shad up there in late April too.
Hey Andy,
Just wondering, when you said the river close to all fishing to let the fish spawn does that mean not even catch and release?