NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - 5x Fluke Limit from Shore
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 5x Fluke Limit from Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Definitely a very amazing video and more impressive technique. I would never have thought to use jerk baits for fluke. I know they're a more aggressive fish than most people realize but I would never have even considered a jerk bait. I assume a drop off of some kind near shore is important, water depth is important, time of year, bait and water temps factor into this. Is this more of a spring time technique when migrating fluke push into the back bays with warmer water temps and bait supply is abundant or do you use it all summer long?

Fluke are an amazing fish in terms of range. They're found in or around the canyons in the winter and in a few feet of water in the spring. Pretty incredible range and resilience. Cool stuff and great job coming up with the idea, like I said I would have never thought of it in a million years.

Just curious, did you plan on trying it out for fluke, read about it or just happen upon it by luck? Either way, great stuff and very cool vid!

Fyi, years ago on the Long Branch pier there would be days where fluke would follow your strip all the way to the surface in 25 - 30 foot depths so when they're in the mood they will definitely chase a presentation, strip or artificial.
Thanks!

I sort of look at fluke as a flat LMB/SMB - at least when targeting them shallow from land or kayak/boat. They live on the bottom but they feed up, and anything that stays in that 1-4ft zone off the bottom is fair game.

The jerkbait is definitely situational - early season when the water is cold it's more of a crapshoot, but if you cover enough water you'll find a fluke or 2 that wants to chase. Presence of baitfish, clean water, and preferably a high sun/wind chop on the surface all increase your odds of a good day. Very similar to JB fishing in freshwater, or any reaction bait...calm slick conditions are usually bad for that kind of thing, though fluke are a lot less discerning than heavily pressured bass