NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Boat Trailer Brakes……
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boat Trailer Brakes……

what do you tow with??.. 3,000 lbs load towed with a modern relatively stout tow vehicle should not really need trailer brakes.. Especially on the very flat ground near the NJ shore.. Not many big hills to go down there.. In any case, it sounds like you are not hosing down your trailer after dunking in the salt water.. Even todays cheap chinese brake lines should not rust after a just a couple trips a year to salt water, but you MUST wash them down as soon as you get home.. If I were in your situation, I would install new lines, put new brakes/ actuators in if needed, Then paint everything with rustoleum, and grease every contact point where any metal touches metal with heavy bearing grease, including brake line fitting threads and nuts.. and then I would still wash everything down the instant I got home.. I towed to salt for years, and never any issues, because I hosed everything down, upon arrival home.. Its the only way.. Lots of observation, lots of grease, rust proof paint, and lots of hose downs... I burned out a bearing once years ago, on the highway {rt 35], and learned my lesson well.. Grease, washdowns, and awareness.... bob