NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - 20 lber on 4 lb test line
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 20 lber on 4 lb test line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
When I was a kid, I used to catch pilchards and herring ( greenies) ) from the docks and piers in Florida using small, gold hooks on a kind of homemade Sabiki rig. That bait was quickly transferred to a larger hook and live lined for bigger gamefish.

As for your snapping turtle……if they are around, they love the corn. Once they are hooked, however, my experience has been for them to dig their back legs into the mud where they sat tight. Trying to pull them out on my terms was impossible. It was like pulling on a stubborn snag with the snag usually winning.

If anyone wants to experience some thrilling sport fishing, you should try chumming with corn in shallow water ( 3 feet or less ) for carp. When using appropriate light tackle ( or not ), on its first run after being hooked, a big carp will burn through the shallows like a bonefish. Very exciting! Do your homework first to find out if the bigger carp are there. Sometimes, just a trail of bubbles or mud puffs are the signs to look for. Be alert, though, turtles often make the same kind of bubble trail.
Great post. The snapper stayed on the bottom several times but when I pulled as hard as I could, it broke loose without breaking my line. I thought that the line would break and I would fall over backwards. Many times when I hook a big snapper and they don’t see me, I am able to reel them in without a fight, then grab their tail before they know what is happening. This individual was a real fighter that made many long runs. Sometimes when I hook carp in the shallows, they jump out of the water. Bowfin also make bubbles like carp and snapping turtles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6566532-BF90-4C8C-8373-85D336A23527.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	157467