NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Guided South Branch float trips:
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Guided South Branch float trips:

Having a chance to look at things differently now, from the outside looking in.
Would charging people to float the South Branch be a viable enterprise ?
Having now done 2 float trips on these rubber rafts I wonder if it such a venture could be pulled off on the South Branch, North Branch and even the main stem of the Raritan river. What would the start up costs be- A 4wd truck, trailer, raft, and insurance. what else.
How much could you charge to float/fish for stocked trout and smallmouth bass. What about spring striped bass trips on the lower Raritan river ? I know a few young bucks started such a venture a few years ago on the South Branch in the Neshanic area floating for smallmouth bass with jon boats, but it was short lived.
What and where. Maybe offer beginner float trips for those that want to learn how to fish or even fly fish. Float possibly the Pequest, and Musconetcong river as well as the D&R canal, eco and bird watching, sightseeing and bow fishing for carp ?
Who would be the clientele, Manhattanites ? What could you charge ?
Some of these rafts can also handle a small electric motors although I don't think I would take people out on Round Valley or Merrill Creek in a raft, but then again anything is possible.
I see what the float guides up in N.Y. and around here have to deal with, dam releases, what a PIA !!! Wouldn't be bothered with that on the South Branch, although they do release water, but on a much smaller scale.
Maybe uncle Ken was right, these rivers just don't hold the amount fish needed to run a charter business, but what if the price was right. With all the clean ups going on the N, S and main stem they are the cleanest they have been in over 100 years. What if the Headgates dam comes down and people start catching shad in Three Bridges ?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	147203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	147204  

Last edited by AndyS; 02-14-2021 at 04:25 PM..