NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Starter boat shopping questions.
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 04:12 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Starter boat shopping questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
I'd suggest you measure the garage. You may not be able to fit even a 16 feet inside a garage with a closed door on a trailer.

You want some higher freeboard. A flat deck to cast from fly fishing. A day boat. No cabin.

As they say pick your days. 14 footer is my go to crabbing boat with a 25hp on trailer to crab for decadess. Maybe a on a good day Raritan bay/ Sandy Hook. Even a few brief drifts around the Hook and into the Atlantic.

Boat traffic is a killer in smaller boats. You have "the" schedule to easily do Monday to Friday. That's prime time.

Also I don't believe is "starter" boats. A true waste of money. Learn what you have in person and with some trained help. Stupid to buy a boat while you actually want something else. Running a 14 footer and 28 footer have very little in common.
Thanks Capt. Frank, all great advice!! I am just toying now, but I am kinda seeing the logic of going bigger now. More I think about the garage thing, the less sense it makes to me, but I do have an extra deep garage, something like 29 feet deep x 10 wide on the side I would store a boat on, but that would mean the back end of a boat sitting in my work area all winter, may not be the ideal thing, unless of course I am working on the motor!! Thanks again, appreciate the input.