NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - LL Salmon
Thread: LL Salmon
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 02:57 PM
dakota560

Default Re: LL Salmon

Since I started the thread just want to chime in. First thanks for keeping it civil as these topics sometimes go south. I've only met Andy once but having met him and knowing the work he does with clean ups there's probably not many more conservation minded than he is. At the same time, personally I feel the same way about the fishery as Uglystick's post but completely agree as long as an angler is abiding by the regulations it's ultimately a personal choice to retain or practice C&R. One of the days I was fishing, there were three kayakers fishing and combined they kept 4 LL's. One was loaded with eggs as the fellow cleaned it on the shoreline when they hauled out. It bothered me to see but it's well within their rights to do so, again personal choice. Not sure if they're reproducing or not, I'm pretty sure they're capable if the right habitat exists. I've caught land locked salmon years ago in Maine from Sebago and Moosehead lakes and know how large they can grow. State record in Maine is 22.8 lbs from Sebago. You're both right in your opinions so this isn't a right or wrong discussion. Personally I'd like to see NJ protect these fish and increase the size limit significantly. In one of the four lakes stocked the possession limit is 12" which based on the effort NJ is making to establish the fishery to me is counter-intuitive. Since most if not all fish stocked are already over that size, it basically means in that lake their effectively is no size limit unless natural reproduction is occurring. But those are the regulations in place and in many cases the regulations dictate behavior. The established size and possession limits might factor in efforts to maintain adequate forage supply (herring) in the designated lakes in the program. Balance is important with all fisheries so who knows. Either way, I hope this fishery flourishes as the thought of double digit salmon roaming around in a handful of NJ lakes sounds pretty awesome.

Last edited by dakota560; 12-28-2018 at 09:53 AM..