NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Some fine NJ trouting
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Some fine NJ trouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Neat, im wondering how to identify them. Based on color and pattern?
Yeah, pretty much. The spotting patterns of various strains tend to run pretty consistent as do the colorations. However, coloration is very often variable and subject to water color, clarity, streambed color, light levels and spawning seasons. Despite those variables the base shadings often have some degree of consistency to them.
Spotting patterns, spot shapes, and the presence or absence of red, orange, and/or 'haloed' spots generally tend to run with a great dal of consistency within a given hatchery strain or wild population. Chris' second brown has both a coloration and more importantly a spotting pattern and shape that is very consistent with both PA state fish and at least one private hatchery in PA that I sometimes purchase fish from, whereas the first one is far more consistently patterned like an old NJ state fish, most of our NJ wild browns, and to a lesser degree somewhat similar to the fish from the Mancini's Musky Trout Hatchery.
Judging by the overall appearance I would guess both fish are from some hatchery source rather than wild, although the first one could possibly be a wild fish. It's tough to say w/o a closer look on that one.
Again, this is all just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.