NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Baitcaster Recomendation?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Baitcaster Recomendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
Getting a cheapie starter reel will only frustrate you as their anti backlash features aren't as good.
I agree 100%. Cheap reels will make you go nutty picking out the backlashes. With a bait caster setup you wan to spend the $ on the reel and can skimp on the rod.

Solid recommendations on models to pursue. I personally started with Quantum and have 5 different models of theirs and like them all. I have been looking at the Lews Speed Spools recently and they get great reviews.

I would go with a 6'6" or 7' MH fast action rod. There are some decent $50 rods out there. Check the reviews.

As for line I would recommend starting with 12-15# mono or copoly. When you start out you will have a lot of backlashes and line mishaps. If you use braid more than likely you will have to cut out the backlash and will break lures off. Mono will be more forgiving. Leave the braid and floro mainline for when you get comfortable casting and are limiting your backlashes.

As for the whole lefty vs righty reel go to the store and pick up one of each to decide for yourself. I am a righty and use a right handed reel the lefty reels just feel awkward to me.