NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Boating at Night
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boating at Night

Good advice. But I would not use a forward facing light while running. I makes you peripherally blind. Like tunnel vision.

Stuff to the side including 80- foot party boats get unseen until they are next to you. I've experienced that.

Any one ever turn around and look in back of you? That's a rarity.

And while running a boat at night your own engine noise covers all but the loudest of sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
Also if ur fishing in active channels always keep an eye open for traffic coming ur way .
It never ceases to amaze me how quiet a large ship can move through the water,
On moon lite nights ur visibility can be increased , but darker nights reduces ur vision .
If u have a radar & know how to use it , makes life a lot easier on the water after dark !
Always plot were u are in relation to surroundings , daytime just have to look but at night it's radar & GPS charts , knowing we're u r makes getting to where u want to go a lot easier .
Always line up, inlets via entrance buoys if possible if ur not expierenced in using inlet after dark .
Shore lighting can be very confusing so as noted pick,out a known land mark that ur sure of , this can help u greatly in maintains a safe course !
Nothing beats local knowledge !
I'm of the school that slows down after dark, & prefer running any distances with spot on water to light area immediate area in front of vessel , most items I've hit were in low light conditions .
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber