NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Clarification on NJ boating regulations...
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Clarification on NJ boating regulations...

I just got off the phone with the NJ State Marine Police.. I was under the impression that I could not legally operate a boat in NJ because I had not taken the boaters safety course, Asked here at NJF about it, and the general consensus was that I would not be in compliance, and was risking a ticket.. It just did not seem to make sense to me that a tourist state like NJ would not allow people from out of state to operate a boat in NJ, and take their considerable recreational expenditures elsewhere.

The officer told me that was false, and that you are bound by the laws of the state you live in. Since NY has no boaters safety course [as of now, only personal watercraft, SeaDoos, etc, and only for those born after 5/1/96], they told me I was fine, and added, especially if you are in tidal waters.. So, NY residents are welcome to use their boat in NJ, as long as it goes home with you. I think if its docked in NJ you would have to get the NJ certificate, thats what the officer seemed to imply.. So,NJ wants my money after all!... Hopefully see you guys out on Raritan/Sandy Hook bay this friday.. No more packed head boats for me for a while...

btw, the officer I spoke to was very helpful and courteous, and set my mind at ease quickly,, I was very appreciative...... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 06-08-2016 at 10:39 AM..