NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Tip up spools -- how are you spooling yours?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tip up spools -- how are you spooling yours?

I put probably 30 yards of 20 pound mono and then uni-to-uni Dacron on it. I've gotten both fly-line backing to use and also trolling Dacron. Almost all my tip-ups now have 30 or 50-pound Bass Pro (Offshore Angler) Magibraid. I think it's like $15 for 300 yards, and you really don't need much more than 50 yards, although I probably have close to 75 on each. That Magibraid is awesome. Haven't changed it in years and it's still in fantastic shape. I also use the chartreuse becasue i see which way the line is going under the hole better. I can guarantee you the color makes no difference to the fish. I catch just as much, if not more, than my buddies with black or green line. Depending on what I'm targeting, I use anywhere from 15 to 40-pound fluoro leader.

And btw, I slip a button on the Dacron to keep track of my depth (a whole different story), then I slip a small egg sinker on the Dacron to bring the bait down, then a small barrel swivel then my leader and hook.

This is the stuff....

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/20099/

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 02-05-2014 at 01:08 PM..