NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Optimax Outboards stink!
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs down Optimax Outboards stink!

Well, at least mine does!

back in 2007 I repowered with a new 175 hp Mercury Optimax. Since then I have had many problems with the engine... I have had to replace 1 starter, 3 alternators, the oil reservoir and sensor, a coiler, fuel rail, and... A new power head in 2010 after only 2 1/2 seasons The trim assembily has also needed to be repaired 3 times in the last 5 seasons.

Thankfully, most of these problems occured while the engine was still under warranty but it still sucks that you spend over 10k on something new and have this many problems. To throw salt in the wound, Mercury has been very uncooperative and difficult. I had to fight with them to get the starter and first alternator. I was also told by my local dealer who installed the second power head there would be a 1 yr. warranty on it. However, after not hearing from Mercury for a month I called and was told that infact there would be NO warranty what so ever on the second powerhead. No recall or help with the trim assembily even though it's the same parts that keep wearing out... It just goes on and on

Anybody on this site have similar experiences?