NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey - View Single Post - Lookin for some help/advice..
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lookin for some help/advice..

I live in Nutley, not too far from you, and am also a big kayak fisherman. The Passaic River is the first spot that comes to mind. It has tons of launch spots and good Largemouth/Smallmouth/Pike fishing. I tend to target the area along Rt 46/80 in Wayne, but will be trying the area closer to you in the next week or so (Chatham, New Providence, Berkeley Heights). Its slow moving and depending on where you launch from, pretty secluded for the most part. Most of it is no deeper than 4-7ft and like I said, extremely slow moving.

If you dont mind driving 30-60 minutes, Northern Jersey has a ton of great places. Splitrock Reservoir in Rockaway is beautiful and kayak/canoe only(no gasoline outboards). Monksville Reservoir in West Milford/Ringwood is just as pretty and has a ton of cool features to explore (standing timber, coves, etc.). Pompton Lake in the Wayne/Pompton Lakes area is perfectly sized for paddling and offers great Bass fishing. Those are pretty much the main spots I hit from my kayak and have had a ton of success so far this year. Throw me a PM and I will get into more specifics...

I know Round Valley and Spruce Run may be a tad closer to you, but I havent fished those spots since I was a little kid and cant give you much insight on them.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek