NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What is the most "humane and painless" way to kill a fish? (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47854)

flyboy1 05-30-2012 04:38 PM

What is the most "humane and painless" way to kill a fish?

I dont believe in suffocating a fish and gutting it alive... I have always taken a butcher knife and gave a quick swift chop behind the head severing the spine. So with that said...

What is the most humane and painless way to kill a fish that you plan on keeping to eat, have to kill because it is badly injured or has to be killed because its a nuisance fish as required by state laws?

Jigman13 05-30-2012 04:45 PM

Re: What is the most "humane and painless" way to kill a fish?

Being as I bleed all my fish for the table, I have a tendency the sever the throat latch. They fade out pretty quickly that way and you end up with some nice, white fillets.

Lard Almighty 05-30-2012 05:00 PM

When I keep trout for the table, I snap their necks. Instant death, and it breaks the main artery and bleeds the fish out. For larger fish or panfish, I usually apply a rock to the cranium, which dispatches them just as quickly.

lunkertaker 05-30-2012 08:03 PM

Cut the main artery/vein just past the gills on the underside...they bleed out within minutes...do it every time blackfishing...have never done it on freshwater fish as I never keep them here in NJ...too much pressure and enjoy the fishery as it is...Stocked trout I usually release, a personal thing as we think they taste too much like bluefish? Just IMO, so keep what ya like:p

jmurr711 05-30-2012 08:26 PM

lethal injection

dboyd101 05-30-2012 09:45 PM

i prefer the concrete slab boat ramp approach.

SaltLife1980 05-30-2012 11:30 PM

Rock smash to the head!!

Instant TKO

dogfish246 05-31-2012 12:03 AM

Numb them in ice water... then do what you think is humane

Blind Archer 05-31-2012 12:51 PM

I tell them of the great skill it took to catch them and tales of my great fishing prowess. It bores them to death, almost instantly. They usually die laughing .

broken bobber 05-31-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboyd101
i prefer the concrete slab boat ramp approach.

hahahaha.... excellent...agreed :D