NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Boat battery (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73025)

BCinerie 08-18-2014 09:16 PM

Boat battery

I just had a battery go bad this weekend, of course 13 months old on a 12 month warranty! Second time that happened in3 years. My question is what is everyone running. Brand size etc. my boat is a 20.5 lund center console with 140 evinrude, have a dual battery set up with battery switch. What size and brand do you think ?

Thx bc

Capt. Debbie 08-19-2014 10:20 AM

Re: Boat battery

I use a plain jane West Marine dual purpose battery. About $120

History of them. Three years of reliable use for the last ten years. I replace year 4

shrimpman steve 08-20-2014 10:40 PM

I'm running interstates one deep cycle one combo. Too new to know how long they will last

Bill T 08-22-2014 04:08 PM

Have good luck with Interstate batteries,both deep cycle & starting. Just replaced all 3 of mine this spring,as the old ones were 4 yrs. old.

makokeith 08-23-2014 10:34 AM

I use odyssey batteries. They are expensive but worth it. My house battery is going on 6 years.

BCinerie 08-24-2014 01:08 PM

I actually picked up 2 new deep cycle combo (24 series) battery at autozone! Boat started right up and everything is working much better! Also got a 20% off coupon
So ended up being 170 total for both! Putting my deep,cycle I had in a storage on the boat for my backpup to my backup! It is fully charged and will throw on a charger 1 time per month or so! Thanks for the input!

RWole 08-24-2014 07:59 PM

I use die hard the biggest deep cycle size (do not remember off hand but could check). I fish a lot of electric only lakes and have 2 of them one for
each electric motor (front and back) and use cranking for gas motor. I have
had them for 6 years and not an issue , still plent of juice at the end of the
day even with the wind on reservoirs.

MrAC1980 08-25-2014 04:33 PM

This is kinda off topic so I apologize for hijacking but guys running dual batteries.. Do you run off one and switch back and forth? Or do you always set to both? I've heard mixed responses to both. Thanks.

BCinerie 08-25-2014 07:54 PM

I have a switch, run both batteries while motoring out and in. Set to one battery
While drifting or trolling etc. Should never us both while out on water, you could drain both and then you are screwed!

Capt. Debbie 08-25-2014 11:46 PM

Very true.

In fact, if you are running both batteries all the time the battery switch was a useless waste of your money.

Also check the wiring. Many shade tree mechanics bypass the switch and go right to the battery studs. In that case the battery switch is a fool's security blanket since its bypass by direct connect defeated the switches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCinerie (Post 371904)
I have a switch, run both batteries while motoring out and in. Set to one battery
While drifting or trolling etc. Should never us both while out on water, you could drain both and then you are screwed!