NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gas tank issue at the pump (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71835)

Foul Hook 07-20-2014 09:14 AM

Gas tank issue at the pump

My brother has issue when he fills his tank, the gas will bubble out of the fill hose and kick the pump off. We have taken off both the fill hose and the vent host to get a visual to see if they are collapsing or blocked. Both are good, clear and clean. The odd thing about this is that when we fill the boat at the pump or by can on land there is no problem filling at all. When filling on land we can hear the vent allowing air out. Put the boat in the water when filling the gas will keep bubbling out of the fill hole. Talked to the guy who cleans the tanks he says his services are not needed. Could it be that baffles are causing this problem? Any Thoughts? Thanks

MoparCharlie 07-20-2014 09:50 PM

Re: Gas tank issue at the pump

My buddies boat did the same thing...

We removed the vent line a little bit while fueling...Probably not the safest thing but it worked.

I would imagine the is some sort of restriction/blockage on the vent line. Maybe a critter made a home?

fin_s_guy 07-20-2014 10:01 PM

High speed fill pump? Mine does the same thing at my marina but on the trailer, no issues. I just slow the fill and enjoy watching the numbers roll by. :rolleyes::mad:

Gerry Zagorski 07-21-2014 11:21 AM

So it sounds like the lines are fine.... How about the vent fitting on the side of the boat and the end of the vent line? Some have screens in them and I've seen them get clogged with bugs and even boat wax....

That would be the first place I would check.

Foul Hook 07-21-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 366627)
So it sounds like the lines are fine.... How about the vent fitting on the side of the boat and the end of the vent line? Some have screens in them and I've seen them get clogged with bugs and even boat wax....

That would be the first place I would check.

I can't remember if we looked at the vent fitting when we had it apart. It still seems weird that on land it fills correctly and we've heard the air coming out of the vent. We were talking about it Sat. and I suggested maybe there is a baffle in the tank or something that is blocking air flow when we are fueling on the water, the boat lays differently in the water than on the trailer. When you fuel at the dock you have to stand on the same side of the boat as the fuel port so we thought that has to have something to do with it, the way the fuel is rolling around in the tank. As to what Bobby is saying when he is fueling he has been trying to keep it at slow pace but still getting the "burp" of gas every few minutes. Thanks for the answers guys we'll just keep on trying shyte till we get her right!