NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Repower Question (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85428)

fishchix 12-03-2015 03:37 PM

Repower Question

Would like some honest imput. I have a 23 center with a 1997 Evinrude 200Oceanpro on the back right now. Had yet another lower unit problem last week. (think the mechanic does not know his stuff) For the 3rd time in three years. Motor runs great above 1,500 rpm but has always been a pain under that. (ie trolling) Thinking of just biting the bullet for a repower. Any input would be helpful. Getting tired of the constant headache. Am i thinking strait by giving up and putting a new engine on the boat. Hull is in good shape.
Could just buy another used boat for the same or less, but thinking by doing the same thing again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity!

What is your input and suggestions on this. Need a real realiable Marina
Tired of the hacks!

John

Duffman 12-03-2015 08:18 PM

Re: Repower Question

Tons of questions to ask yourself...

You like the hull? Is it solid? Like the layout? If so, do the repower. Buying another boat may put you in worse shape than you are now.

Research what you can repower with and see what that turns up.....2 stroke vs 4 stroke, what weight and HP will hull handle, etc.

Personally if I liked the hull, I'd repower with something reliable and get back to the fishing. Then again, its the perfect excuse to bail out of the current ride and upgrade to biiger and faster.

BCinerie 12-03-2015 09:44 PM

2 of my buddies run etec's and love them. They are nice ! No,break in period and low maintenance ! I am looking at a 135 ho for my 21 center console Lund !! I am also looking at the Tohatsu real hard!

Capt. Debbie 12-04-2015 10:34 AM

A new mechanic may do trick and save you a lot until the head blows.

Best I've seen on Envinrude..... Monmouth Marine on Rte 36 Port Monmouth. He did dozens of Sea Tow boat O/B until Corporate switched us over to Yamahas.

Fixes it right the first time. That's a mechanic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishchix (Post 429208)
Would like some honest imput. I have a 23 center with a 1997 Evinrude 200Oceanpro on the back right now. Had yet another lower unit problem last week. (think the mechanic does not know his stuff) For the 3rd time in three years. Motor runs great above 1,500 rpm but has always been a pain under that. (ie trolling) Thinking of just biting the bullet for a repower. Any input would be helpful. Getting tired of the constant headache. Am i thinking strait by giving up and putting a new engine on the boat. Hull is in good shape.
Could just buy another used boat for the same or less, but thinking by doing the same thing again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity!

Tired of the hacks!

John

Treble Hook Jim 12-04-2015 10:42 PM

You could save a ton of $$$ by buying a rebuilt. That's what I did. Wally at offshore outboards in Jackson is top notch... PM me and I will give you his number...

Gerry Zagorski 12-05-2015 04:33 AM

At some point you get to the point of no return on and old motor and start to throw good money after bad. I have a friend who was in the very same position as you and after dumping several thousand dollars in his old 200 Johnson he bit the bulllet and bought a used ETECH.

Check down in the classifieds and you'll find a used 225 ETECH. That motor will mount right up to your boat and you can use your old controls as well.

Good luck.

Striper80 12-05-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishchix (Post 429208)

Tired of the hacks!

John

If you had 3 lower unit problems in 3 years you might have another issue. Maybe your cables are bad or out of adjustment or the shift rod is not being adjusted properly. I have the same engine and I found both issues on it after I bought it. I got the SEI lower replaced under warranty and I put about 60 hrs on there so far so good.