NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Trout Bait and Lures (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102182)

Gerry Zagorski 04-16-2018 11:49 AM

Trout Bait and Lures

Haven't trout fished in a long time and plan on hitting the South Branch while camping in a few weeks....

Any suggestions for bait or lures??

Just got an electric smoker so plan is for our group to get enough to smoke and have some dinner so smoking methods and recipes welcome too...

Thanks!!

FASTEDDIE29 04-16-2018 12:41 PM

Re: Trout Bait and Lures

Powerbait in orange and yellow. Butterworms, deadly! Berkeley pink worms, deadly. T-Rig em with a size 10-12 bait holder hook and just enough splitshots to bounce off the bottom. For slower pools you can use a little trout float/ bobber.

Lures! I stick with plugs most of them the time. Original floating Rapala in black and silver and black and gold! Jigs donsome damage as well as trout magnets. Good luck you maniac!!! They should be feeding pretty good by the time you get out there! Please report back and let us know how you do! YEA BUDDY!!!:D

Gerry Zagorski 04-16-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 (Post 505802)
Powerbait in orange and yellow. Butterworms, deadly! Berkeley pink worms, deadly. T-Rig em with a size 10-12 bait holder hook and just enough splitshots to bounce off the bottom. For slower pools you can use a little trout float/ bobber.

Lures! I stick with plugs most of them the time. Original floating Rapala in black and silver and black and gold! Jigs donsome damage as well as trout magnets. Good luck you maniac!!! They should be feeding pretty good by the time you get out there! Please report back and let us know how you do! YEA BUDDY!!!:D

Thanks Eddie. So I assume when you say t-rig you meant Texas rig but instead pf the bullet weights you use for bass fishing, just put some split shots on.... Do the weights go tight to the hook or a foot or so away?

gratefuldad 04-16-2018 02:04 PM

Years ago when I had more time and patience (and a lack of cash) I would turn over rocks and branches along whatever river i was fishing for worms and grubs.

My go to baits are garden worms, meal worms, spinners and rapalas.

Castaway 04-16-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 505804)
Thanks Eddie. So I assume when you say t-rig you meant Texas rig but instead the bullet weights you use for bass fishing, just put some split shots right above the eye of the hook??

If I'm fishing them with split shot in faster water I hook them once through the center and then put just enough split shot to tic the bottom without getting hung up 12" from the hook. If it's slower deeper water you can try using them with a 1/32oz jig head. Thread the worm onto the jig head the same way you would put a gulp grub on a hook for fluking.
Pick up a jar of salmon eggs. I've caught more rainbows on eggs then everything else combined.

hammer4reel 04-16-2018 03:50 PM

Orange or yellow power bait.

Trout magnets

Blue fox silver spinners

Black/silver rapala countdown

Pink salmon eggs

White salmon eggs

ifish2016 04-16-2018 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For lure I would recommend you get a joe's flies spinner. It has been deadly the past week for me fishing the Rockaway. I just let the current take the spinner and hold it there for a little bit, then when I feel the vibration from the spinner I start to reel it in slowly.

Gerry Zagorski 04-16-2018 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the 411 here guys... Really looking forward to trying some smoked trout!!

akoop 04-16-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 505823)
Thanks for all the 411 here guys... Really looking forward to trying some smoked trout!!

Try smoked trout as an appetizer with a sour cream & horseradish dip out it on a cracker. It is awesome (also do this with blue fish).

Gerry Zagorski 04-16-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akoop (Post 505824)
Try smoked trout as an appetizer with a sour cream & horseradish dip out it on a cracker. It is awesome (also do this with blue fish).

Thanks akoop... So once you smoke the trout, let it cool down, take it off the bone and mix the meat with the sour cream and horseradish and make a spread??

I had some Bluefish Pate once up in Nantucket that was done sort of like this and it was very tasty.

Drooling on my keyboard now :o