NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Starter boat shopping questions. (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107440)

Riperoo 03-24-2019 05:49 PM

Starter boat shopping questions.

ey all, poking around the idea of picking up a small boat, starter boat per se, I have a place in Cape May NJ and would like to get out and explore the bays, crabbing, some fishing, really like to try some fly fishing in the back bays, like something small, 16 to 20 max, trailerable, if it can fit in my garage in the winter, that would be a big bonus. The gamut of used out there is pretty overwhelming. Like to get any and all input on suggestions. Background on me, approaching retirement age, never owned other than canoes and kayaks, been on charter boats and rentals, so been exposed, but don't even consider myself an amatauer. Like to be around the $10k level, unless you all tell me that going new is the way to go. Like to hear anything, good and bad, don't pull any punches, the good, the bad and the ugly!!! TIA

Capt. Debbie 03-25-2019 10:28 AM

Re: Starter boat shopping questions.

I'd suggest you measure the garage. You may not be able to fit even a 16 feet inside a garage with a closed door on a trailer.

You want some higher freeboard. A flat deck to cast from fly fishing. A day boat. No cabin.

As they say pick your days. 14 footer is my go to crabbing boat with a 25hp on trailer to crab for decadess. Maybe a on a good day Raritan bay/ Sandy Hook. Even a few brief drifts around the Hook and into the Atlantic.

Boat traffic is a killer in smaller boats. You have "the" schedule to easily do Monday to Friday. That's prime time.

Also I don't believe is "starter" boats. A true waste of money. Learn what you have in person and with some trained help. Stupid to buy a boat while you actually want something else. Running a 14 footer and 28 footer have very little in common.

Riperoo 03-28-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Frank (Post 526797)
I'd suggest you measure the garage. You may not be able to fit even a 16 feet inside a garage with a closed door on a trailer.

You want some higher freeboard. A flat deck to cast from fly fishing. A day boat. No cabin.

As they say pick your days. 14 footer is my go to crabbing boat with a 25hp on trailer to crab for decadess. Maybe a on a good day Raritan bay/ Sandy Hook. Even a few brief drifts around the Hook and into the Atlantic.

Boat traffic is a killer in smaller boats. You have "the" schedule to easily do Monday to Friday. That's prime time.

Also I don't believe is "starter" boats. A true waste of money. Learn what you have in person and with some trained help. Stupid to buy a boat while you actually want something else. Running a 14 footer and 28 footer have very little in common.

Thanks Capt. Frank, all great advice!! I am just toying now, but I am kinda seeing the logic of going bigger now. More I think about the garage thing, the less sense it makes to me, but I do have an extra deep garage, something like 29 feet deep x 10 wide on the side I would store a boat on, but that would mean the back end of a boat sitting in my work area all winter, may not be the ideal thing, unless of course I am working on the motor!! Thanks again, appreciate the input.

howarda780 04-22-2019 03:00 PM

Ripper

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113720432753

This will fit into your garage

BCinerie 04-22-2019 07:35 PM

Get a 18/20 center console with 90-150 HP for 5-9k with a canopy and you will be set for a long time! Enjoy. Can fish,crab tubi g for the kids etc.

O'Man 05-01-2019 02:58 PM

If it's going to live on a trailer, don't overlook an aluminum boat. They're lighter, so less power is needed. I had an 18' Starcraft CC that I took all over the place. The big plus was I could easily launch & land it alone, even at low tide.

Capt. Debbie 05-02-2019 01:22 PM

UP side in aluminum is light weight handling. It's also a downside in the chop as being so light they pound more in head sea. Aluminum cant be beat on calm days. But 1-2' seas are a bouncy ride due to light weight the bow in lifted easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'Man (Post 529399)
If it's going to live on a trailer, don't overlook an aluminum boat. They're lighter, so less power is needed. I had an 18' Starcraft CC that I took all over the place. The big plus was I could easily launch & land it alone, even at low tide.

bulletbob 05-07-2019 12:44 AM

I have a 17 aluminum CC and its good in calm water, but it gets bounced pretty bad in a chop...

You are close to the water anywhere in NJ, weight should not be that big a factor in a 17-18 foot boat.. I would buy a clean fiberglass 17-18 CC with a 90/100 HP.. You can't beat an aquasport,older Mako,Wellcraft, and many other builders .. I had a 175 Aquasport Osprey and it laughed at rough water, and was easily trailerable.. $4-5 K will get you a pretty nice rig in NJ if you look around... bob

Capt. Debbie 05-07-2019 10:37 AM

Also keep in mid that certain brands like Boston Whalers or Grady Whites will always cost more than a Mako or Wellcraft or Aquasport .

Also be mindful of that privacy issue for pottie with women. You have to consider it or you're going to get push back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletbob (Post 529673)
I have a 17 aluminum CC and its good in calm water, but it gets bounced pretty bad in a chop...

You are close to the water anywhere in NJ, weight should not be that big a factor in a 17-18 foot boat.. I would buy a clean fiberglass 17-18 CC with a 90/100 HP.. You can't beat an aquasport,older Mako,Wellcraft, and many other builders .. I had a 175 Aquasport Osprey and it laughed at rough water, and was easily trailerable.. $4-5 K will get you a pretty nice rig in NJ if you look around... bob

bulletbob 05-08-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Frank (Post 529684)
Also keep in mid that certain brands like Boston Whalers or Grady Whites will always cost more than a Mako or Wellcraft or Aquasport .

Also be mindful of that privacy issue for pottie with women. You have to consider it or you're going to get push back.

I like Whalers but they are overpriced for certain... Can't beat an aquasport.. Rugged as hell, good in a chop, readily available, and not expensive.. Capt frank makes a great point.. if you are going to be taking a woman out fishing/boating regularly, consider something with a cuddy .. most ladies do NOT want to pee in a cup out in the open while fishing, and you'll be selling the CC for a boat with a cabin in very short order... bob