NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   minn kota motor problems (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107468)

Chrisper4694 03-27-2019 01:15 PM

minn kota motor problems

I'm not sure where else to post this, but if it needs to be moved to a different page, feel free.

so, because minn kota has no authorized service centers within almost 3 hours of me I have to fix the damn thing myself. been having issues with it since the second season with it.

I forget which members are experts in this but i'm hoping someone can confirm the part i need to fix the current issue...

I talked to minn kota about the problem and they seemed to be not totally sure what the problem was so hopefully someone here can help more definitely.

When i'm trying to control the speed of the motor (forward or reverse) the motor will click off and then click back on erratically and more and more often the longer this problem persists. I also noticed if the battery isn't at full power the motor will just turn completely off and not turn back on unless i disconnect it and reconnect it.

Additionally (not sure if it's related but assuming it is) the handle on the motor in the 'off' position still turns the prop slowly and only if i click it just barely into reverse does it truly stop the prop completely.

Not many options as to what the problem is, i know...my main issue is the expensive control box and if that is the definite problem piece. is there any chance that these issues are from the handle pieces, clutch piece or battery reader connection, etc.? I'd hate to order the control box and it not fix the problems as it's a $100 part!

btw all the current wires and connections appear to be in perfect shape from what i saw inside the unit but i didn't pull them out of the shaft yet.

I appreciate any help, thanks guys!

akoop 03-27-2019 02:12 PM

Re: minn kota motor problems

Hey Chris,
Not sure which motor you have but check this out it may help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v1v...aIpBj6bJ-/view
It is a Minn Kota Service/Repair manual with some troubleshooting steps.

Chrisper4694 03-28-2019 12:33 PM

yeah, i've used this, but i just can't 100 percent confirm (even after calling them) that I need a new control box. it's a $100 part and it's non-returnable so i just don't want to order it and it turns out it's not the problem.

I'll most likely just try every other option first before ordering it i guess...

catfishonthelake 03-28-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 (Post 526994)
yeah, i've used this, but i just can't 100 percent confirm (even after calling them) that I need a new control box. it's a $100 part and it's non-returnable so i just don't want to order it and it turns out it's not the problem.

I'll most likely just try every other option first before ordering it i guess...

It may actually be your battery...I had a similar issue. Your battery may have enough voltage but not enough amperage to run the motor. The battery will actually run some electronics but not others. Use a battery tester to test each individual cell of the battery, even if it's reading a full charge, or try a friend's battery. At least it's worth a shot before ordering something you might not need.

akoop 03-28-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 (Post 526994)

What about this place https://www.njtrollingmotors.com/

I don't have any experience with them personally.

Mikey topaz 03-28-2019 03:06 PM

I would agree with mark Chris, mine was doing same crap and replaced the battery and problem was solved. Def double check your connections though, Inspect the ends of the wire.I kept my minnkota manual with a bunch of info on troubleshooting if you need it lemme know man,

Rapidfflow0 03-28-2019 10:32 PM

Have you tried contacting John at NJ trolling motor in Jackson NJ I have had my motor too him several times for warranty work and repairs caused by my own stupidity. Does great work and is minn Kota authorized repair shop. I know it’s not close but it’s not 3hrs either. If you need his contact info let me know

Chrisper4694 03-29-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishonthelake (Post 527001)
It may actually be your battery...I had a similar issue. Your battery may have enough voltage but not enough amperage to run the motor. The battery will actually run some electronics but not others. Use a battery tester to test each individual cell of the battery, even if it's reading a full charge, or try a friend's battery. At least it's worth a shot before ordering something you might not need.

so one of the batteries is actually brand new but i'm not chancing it, i'm going to return it as well. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the motor AND the one new battery to be honest.

I might replace every cheap part first and then if that doesn't work get the expensive part i guess.

Chrisper4694 03-29-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapidfflow0 (Post 527034)
Have you tried contacting John at NJ trolling motor in Jackson NJ I have had my motor too him several times for warranty work and repairs caused by my own stupidity. Does great work and is minn Kota authorized repair shop. I know it’s not close but it’s not 3hrs either. If you need his contact info let me know

it's def almost 3 hours from me and i'm pretty sure they don't have weekend hours when i checked. The real problem is it's going to cost me, at the very least, $175 bucks with the part and the repair shop and i can buy a brand new one for $240 so I start thinking what's the point.

I should've taken off work and hauled it down there one day while it was still under warranty, but I didn't.

Chrisper4694 03-29-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey topaz (Post 527010)
I would agree with mark Chris, mine was doing same crap and replaced the battery and problem was solved. Def double check your connections though, Inspect the ends of the wire.I kept my minnkota manual with a bunch of info on troubleshooting if you need it lemme know man,

is it the same trouble shooting that you can get online?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v1v...aIpBj6bJ-/view