NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spermaceti Cove (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113026)

Richmrf 07-04-2020 02:48 PM

Spermaceti Cove

It’s been a while since I have seen any mention of spermaceti cove. I would like to take the wife somewhere that we can beach and enjoy the day. In the past I saw a lot of talk about being very careful pulling into the cove. Can anyone elaborate? I’m not sure if I still need to watch for hazards or how to approach. Do people still go there?
I know where it is. I’m just not sure how safe it is to pull in. I can enter drawing just a foot of water.
Is their any other areas around that are like Spermaceti Cove around sandy hook, Navasink, or Shrewsbury rivers? Any place people beach their boats and gather for a day on the beach?

Gerry Zagorski 07-04-2020 08:06 PM

Re: Spermaceti Cove

1 Attachment(s)
The deep water from the Chanel to the cove are clearly marked on GPS maps.

Capt. Debbie 07-05-2020 12:02 PM

Spermacetti cove is usually sailboat duffers. You mean skull island that is in the river east of the 7-9 cans with the power boats beached?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richmrf (Post 549715)
It’s been a while since I have seen any mention of spermaceti cove. I would like to take the wife somewhere that we can beach and enjoy the day. In the past I saw a lot of talk about being very careful pulling into the cove. Can anyone elaborate? I’m not sure if I still need to watch for hazards or how to approach. Do people still go there?
I know where it is. I’m just not sure how safe it is to pull in. I can enter drawing just a foot of water.
Is their any other areas around that are like Spermaceti Cove around sandy hook, Navasink, or Shrewsbury rivers? Any place people beach their boats and gather for a day on the beach?

Capt. Debbie 07-05-2020 12:03 PM

Air Force cove in the SInk. But not much beach there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Frank (Post 549740)
Spermacetti cove is usually sailboat duffers. You mean skull island that is in the river east of the 7-9 cans with the power boats beached?

Duffman 07-05-2020 03:14 PM

Skeleton Hill is still a gathering spot. Changed dramatically after Sandy. If you only draft 1 ft then you’ll def have no issue getting in.

Like Gerry posted, plenty of deeper water coming in. From what every chart shows tho that deeper cut is def more East than it shows.

Once you get in, there is a submerged rock wall. Marked crudely with some floats and sticks by regulars. Be real careful cuz it’s impossible to see. Ask me how I know....or call and ask Atlantic Propeller and give them my name:D

mstolte617 07-06-2020 03:41 PM

I was actually there yesterday. Last was there in 2018, and the Cove/Beach that appears as the tide ebbs isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. There used to be a beach, and then a nice drop off, where its at least 10 feet deep. That hole really isnt there anymore. It was high tide when i went in, and went much deeper then i have in the past, just to have a beach to go to. Left about 10 hours later. Nice place to spend the day if you want to just hang, but the charts don't really reflect what the cove actually is now.

beachwhistle 07-07-2020 08:49 AM

I was there Sunday as well. Got to close to the point going around a tuber and bumped something going in :eek: even though depth finder read 4 ft. under the boat. Depth reading was around 2 ft. or less going out.
Nice place to stop though my daughters enjoyed swimming in the 78 deg. water.

Capt. Debbie 07-08-2020 11:11 AM

Had to get a guy out of there with the tow boat. Much of the remembered contour is gone. The charts are semi worthless back there.

And there is a large barely submerged obstruction on the southward facing island tip. Someone said they marked with sticks of floats.

The drop off facing east was great. Stuff the bow in the sand facing west and the transom had 10 feet of water under it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstolte617 (Post 549789)
I was actually there yesterday. Last was there in 2018, and the Cove/Beach that appears as the tide ebbs isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. There used to be a beach, and then a nice drop off, where its at least 10 feet deep. That hole really isnt there anymore. It was high tide when i went in, and went much deeper then i have in the past, just to have a beach to go to. Left about 10 hours later. Nice place to spend the day if you want to just hang, but the charts don't really reflect what the cove actually is now.

mstolte617 07-13-2020 02:37 PM

Capt Frank - Was it recent you were there ? i went close to high tide, and there wasnt much of that 10 foot deep hole that used to always be there.

Capt. Debbie 07-14-2020 11:51 AM

In there in 2019. My tow boat got stuck on a rock like shelf. I needed to be pulled off and the other boat got stuck by the "marked" rock shoal facing southward.

It was unchanged for decades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstolte617 (Post 550131)
Capt Frank - Was it recent you were there ? i went close to high tide, and there wasnt much of that 10 foot deep hole that used to always be there.