NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Raritan Bay Launch Ramps (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79301)

olbarneybasser 05-11-2015 11:28 AM

Raritan Bay Launch Ramps

For years, my home waters have been Forked River down on Barnegat Bay. This year, bought a new 19' center console and am trailering rather than keeping in a slip. I was hoping for some advice on where to launch from to get in on some of the Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook action (NOT LOOKING FOR ANYONE'S SPOTS OR NUMBERS...unless you want to give them). Just looking for a decent launch ramp with water at all tides. Any advice would be appreciated!

Gerry Zagorski 05-11-2015 11:55 AM

Re: Raritan Bay Launch Ramps

Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina is a good one... Very wide, gentle slope and good at all tides.... Low tide you have to watch it because when the tide is out the ramp can be slippery and you don't want your vehicle sliding down the ramp and into the water.

olbarneybasser 05-11-2015 12:07 PM

Thanks Gerry. I'll bet that has happened a few times before...amazing entertainment value at ramps.

Capt. Debbie 05-12-2015 10:00 AM

As Gerry said AHMM Is the big one. There's Leonardo, Keyport, Zubachs, Keansburg, South Amboy, Sayreville, Sewaren ramps. And Great Kills SI has one too. They are all on the Bay excpet Sayrevile is up the Raritan River a couple of miles west of the RR bridge.

Each has its own nuances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 403040)
Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina is a good one... Very wide, gentle slope and good at all tides.... Low tide you have to watch it because when the tide is out the ramp can be slippery and you don't want your vehicle sliding down the ramp and into the water.

Charlie B 05-12-2015 04:54 PM

Does anybody know if South Amboy is ever going to be dredged? That used to be a nice ramp but now it doesn't look usable with that sand bar blocking the ramp from the bay...Charlie

Capt. Debbie 05-12-2015 05:02 PM

I doubt it given the toxins on the bottom there. Loaded with heavy metals and disposal is a real expensive sob from the dredge spoils.

I towed a boat in there at mid tide and my flat bottom 25' privateers was banging bottom three years ago.

Maybe a high tide or kayaks only place?

Capt. Debbie 05-12-2015 05:04 PM

WOuld be nice for the money that AH power wash the low tide AHMM ramp slime off once a week or so. But why bother when they already have your money and no competition. Good enough eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski (Post 403040)