NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Trophy Walleye (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112640)

dakota560 06-02-2020 05:36 PM

Trophy Walleye

10 Attachment(s)
After mostly fishing from shore, had the pleasure of fishing with Kevin on the big lake. A big thank you for his countless offers to do so over the last few years and finally took him up on it and thankful I did.

Had two trips, both very good, ending with somewhere between 10 to a dozen walleye / hybrids each trip. One trip we had to of missed a dozen or more hits, was dark and overcast which translated to a number of swings and misses. But action was good, decent amount of herring around.

Second trip, landed a real trophy. Beautiful 28.5" inch walleye and some other good fish. Pics below. Mentioned it to JDTuna so out we went last night in hopes of a repeat performance and another trophy. Well Justin kept up his part of the deal having a respectable night under tough conditions as the air temp dropped to 46 degrees, herring were scarce and predators even more scarce. UNLESS your first name was Justin!

Kevin and I had a tough go at it. Kevin had a few big explosions on his offerings, quite a few missed hits and snagged and successfully landed without assistance what might be the NJ record herring! I think I somehow got anti walleye repellent on my lures and took the dreaded donut in a big way not having as much as a touch the entire night. Plus I continually forgot to pull the trolling motor throughout the night when we moved to a different location so it's probably shore based angling for me again for the foreseeable future!

Justin will follow up with a report on last nights trip, a few pics of the many fish Kevin and I landed on the previous two including the big girl are below. Fish was released after a few pics and measurement, swam away like a champ. Hopefully someone catches the big girl next year when she hits the 30" mark. Wish I didn't pinch the tail when the pic was taken, tail was enormous and reason these larger fish have such bull dog strength. Pic of fourth fish is a different walleye but quality fish as well and then best pic of Kevin releasing the big girl back.

A big thank you Kevin for some phenomenal night time fishing and generosity. Fishing like this occurs once a year and now I know why they invented Red Bull and Xanax. An absolutely addictive sport with fish breaking your &^#$% all night splashing around you and every cast presenting the opportunity for a fish of a lifetime. Does it get any better than that? Enjoy the pics!

icebadger 06-02-2020 07:43 PM

Re: Trophy Walleye

outstanding job gents that is a fine waldo for sure you hit em good the midnight special was on the meat:cool: glad to hear you took kevin up on his offer he is good people for sure and fun to fish with, there is still time to get out again hope to see you out there tight lines.

Skunk City 06-02-2020 07:48 PM

That is a monster for NJ, wow!

NJSquatch 06-02-2020 08:04 PM

Congrats Tom. Hell of a fish. Lake paying you back for your cleanup efforts.

FASTEDDIE29 06-02-2020 08:45 PM

Kevin is a good dude for sure! This report kicks ass, period! The pics are great, the write up is awesome! This night bite happening right now is some of the most addictive fast paced fishing you can do! Time flies when bouncing from spot to spot looking for “THE ONE!!!” I’m glad you found her Tom! That fish is a BEAST! Congrats on the trophy Walleye. Some solid action! Cap’n Kev knows his stuff! Great job guys!!!!!:D

Esox Luciano 06-02-2020 09:57 PM

That's a beauty right there!! Congrats on the trophy & kudos for letting her swim sweet too! Good looking fish all around for that matter. Where's the monster herring?!:D

bunker dunker 06-03-2020 05:27 AM

nice fishing for sure,congrats.

ALS Mako 06-03-2020 06:38 AM

Great report

thmyorke1 06-03-2020 10:09 AM

Big Walleye ! :D night time is the right time :cool:

JDTuna 06-03-2020 10:31 AM

Just an absolute monster walleye. Congratulations, happy for you!