NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   India Brook 6/12/15 (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80480)

americandesi 06-12-2015 10:55 PM

India Brook 6/12/15

2 Attachment(s)
Fished from about 7 to sunset. Caught a nice rainbow who had nice fins and color. Also caught a decent sized wild brown (about 8-9") who found a way to swallow a size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook. I thought those hooks were designed to hook the fish in the jaw. Anyway, I cut the line and let him go so he could grow.

Around sunset something was hatching on the surface and it was an experience watching 4-5" wild browns hit the flies in water barely up to my shin.

I have fished India Brook 3 times so far this year and have caught plenty of stocked rainbows and wild browns, but no brookies. According to the NJ coldwater fisheries plan, brook trout reproduce in India Brook. I was curious if anyone has caught brookies in this stream recently.

AndyS 06-13-2015 12:24 AM

Re: India Brook 6/12/15

Up on the headwaters of the headwaters !!!

FASTEDDIE29 06-13-2015 07:43 AM

They're in there pretty good. Check out the Passaic river headwaters as well. Some very nice fish in both of those pristine streams.

buzzbaiter 06-13-2015 08:51 AM

According to my lifetime records, in 58 trips to India Brook between 1981 and 2010(I'm a little behind in updating. lol) only 15 brook trout caught. Unlike most streams, India gets a bit warmer the further you go upstream due to a few small ponds which dump warm water into it. There are a few very small tribs which hold brook trout but I'm talking barely over a foot wide. As is the case throughout NJ in streams having both species, browns dominate if not completely replace brook trout unless a barrier - natural or man made - separates them. An example would be Trout Brook in Hacklebarney. Both species below the falls but only brookies above. Only stream I know of with a good balance of both is the SBRR(above the gorge Middle Valley on up)) where my lifetime records(again going back 34 years) indicate 29% brook/71% brown or about 3:1 ratio. Some trips its nearly all browns and some trips its 50-50. Rarely is it mostly brook. Most of ther SBRR tribs hold brookies with less holding browns and even fewer wild bows.

15FOOTER 06-13-2015 09:08 AM

Both streams have gone waaay down hill. They warm up way to much and the populations of wt are decreasing. Both are reduced to barely a trickle in another week or two. Same hatches happening on on the Black River and South Branch with much bigger fish and its only another 10 mins down rt 24. Maybe Buzzbaiter can share some facts on them or some of his un named great wts! :)

FASTEDDIE29 06-13-2015 09:51 AM

The India brook has ran dry at least 5 out of the last 10 years. Then the floods that have happened really sent those wild trout for a ride. It's sad to have them disappear. Such cute little morsels. Even cuter with a 5/0 hook through there back.:cool:

americandesi 06-13-2015 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Today I'm going to give the SBR headwaters a shot in Flanders

JDTuna 06-13-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americandesi (Post 407883)
Also caught a decent sized wild brown (about 8-9") who found a way to swallow a size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook. I thought those hooks were designed to hook the fish in the jaw. Anyway, I cut the line and let him go so he could grow.

Unfortunately, many octopus circle hooks are true circle hooks. They are actually offset, and will gut hook a fish just like a J hook. Look for circle hooks that say "non-offset" on the package. The point of the hook should line up with the shaft. These will very rarely deeply hook a fish.

Nice fish!!!

bigfishy 06-14-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 (Post 407922)
The India brook has ran dry at least 5 out of the last 10 years. Then the floods that have happened really sent those wild trout for a ride. It's sad to have them disappear. Such cute little morsels. Even cuter with a 5/0 hook through there back.:cool:

Both places USED to be worth but unfortunately lots of press has upped the pressure and both are hardly worth a yawn

EJS 06-14-2015 05:33 PM

I would suggest going with real light tackle. A 3wt 5' to 6' fly rod (shufly makes a great rod for $99), 7x or even 8x tippet. Pick a day where the stream may be a little tinted. Presentation will be everything, especially on narrow streams where the fish are easy to spook.